Compactness and contradiction.
American Mathematical Society
Publication Year: 2013
Last updated: Mar 2, 2015
This continues my series of books derived from my blog. The preceding books in this series were “Structure and Randomness“, “Poincaré’s legacies“, “An epsilon of room“, “An introduction to measure theory“, “Topics in random matrix theory“, and “Higher order Fourier analysis“.
A draft version of the MS can be found here.
Pre-errata (corrected in the published version):
- Page 78: In the first paragraph, “at least the” should be “at least one of the”. In the second paragraph, “generated by ” and “generated by ” should be “generated by ” and “generated by ” respectively. In the third paragraph, after the first sentence, add “We may take to be a normal subgroup of “. In the last paragraph, replace “cannot grow polynomially” by “cannot grow exponentially (as otherwise the number of subsums of for and would grow exponentially in , contradicting the polynomial growth hypothesis)”
- Page 79, footnote 12: replace the first sentence by “Proof: the algebraic integers for natural number have bounded degree and all Galois conjugates bounded, so the minimal polynomials have bounded integer coefficients and must thus repeat themselves after finitely many .”
- Page 92: In the third display, should be .
- Page 94: “quarternionic” should be “quaternionic” (two occurrences).
- Page 110: “considing” should be “considering”.
- Page 131: in Section 3.10.2, at the end of the treatment of the non-transverse case, “the exponent of here is positive” should be “the exponent of here is negative”.
- Page 220?: In Section 5.4.1, all occurrences of should be .
Thanks to Benjamin Sprung, Felix Voigtlaender and an anonymous contributor for corrections.